Blazers are all over the street style scene and on the runways. Blazers are such a classic piece and can make any outfit feel professional. What do you do when you want to wear a blazer but not feel professional, that’s when things can get tricky. After throwing on almost my whole closet trying to put an outfit together with this blazer I was able to come up with a few tips on styling a blazer for a casual setting.
How To Casually Style A Blazer
1. Get rid of the button up. A button up shirt is the first no-no when wanting to style a blazer in a casual way. Button ups are very professional and formal. Stick to t-shirts, sweaters and other tops that don’t have a collar or buttons.
2. No pumps. This isn’t a definite rule but will definitely help dress down your outfit. All I wanted to do was wear pumps with my look but it wasn’t the style I wanted. The caged sandal I chose is much more casual and edgy. A simple strappy sandal or booties could also work.
3. Jeans or joggers. Any type of pant or slack will take you right to an office job. Make sure to wear causal bottoms like jeans, I really wanted to wear boyfriend jeans but I didn’t have any that fit my bump. Joggers would also be great paired with a blazer, tee and heels.
4. After ready the above three rules I’m going to tell you to pick 2 of the 3 and you should be good to go. Below are some examples…
– Blazer + t-shirt (1.) + joggers (3.) + pumps. You can wear pumps because you have a t-shirt and joggers with your blazer. (example here)
– Blazer + sweater (1.) + slacks + sneakers (2.). You can pull of blazer and slacks if you wear sneakers with your outfit. Sneakers are so casual that will be no mistaking the vibe you are going for. (example here)
– I went way back in my archive to find a blazer look from 2015! I updated the links and found a lot of great similar items. You can read that post here!
A funny thing about this top is that I purchased it when I was pregnant with Myles but barely showing. I knew I would be able to wear it for some of my pregnancy because is was flowy. I love wearing my “maternity” clothes for this pregnancy too. I have quite a few pieces that aren’t maternity but I prefer to wear when I’m pregnant.
This look was more challenging than I thought it would be. I used to wear blazers all the time but now anytime I put one on I feel like I should be going to work, too much of a professional vibe. I am happy I was able to break down how to wear a blazer in a more casual way. Pumps were the first thing I struggled with. That style shoe looked best with the jeans I was wearing but that was way too corporate, luckily these caged sandals helped make my look more casual. I also went with a purple lip for a spring feel.
top | Rammy Brook (similar)
jeans | Target
shoes | Aquazurra (similar)
Live votre rêve!