A Day In The Life Of Being Traded// Part 1

being traded in the NBAThe waves were crashing, the sun was beaming and I was enjoying reading my book on the beach during my family’s annual vacation. My mom, sister and brother were near by and my brother informed me Michael got traded to the Utah Jazz. At that moment, my life was shook. Nothing had really changed but my mind started racing and I knew what was coming. I had known the trade was coming and we were pretty sure it was going to be to Utah but the known didn’t make it any easier. That’s the thing about being traded, it can happen at anytime. I did everything I could not to shed a tear because I knew if I started I wouldn’t be able to stop. Why was a I about to cry? Many reasons. being traded in the NBA being traded in the NBAbeing traded in the NBAThe first reason I wanted to cry was because I didn’t hear the news from Michael and he wasn’t there. Michael made it on the first part of the trip but had to get back home for workouts and training. This is how we have done my family’s vacation since day one and it works for us. We are good at being a part when we need to be but I start to go a little stir crazy if it’s more than a week. Even day 3, I start counting down the days. I miss my partner, my other half, my children’s father, it’s tough being away from your spouse. Now, I wanted to be with him more than ever to discuss this big life changing news and I still had 24 hours till we would be back together. The next day would be June 20th, NBA draft night and we thought the trade was going to happen than, not now when we were a handful of states away.

We knew a trade needed to happen for his career to grow. We had been talking about this moment since he was put on the trading block last February. I had moments with myself when I would cry at the thought of leaving my life in Memphis. Now I am definitely leaving Memphis and I can’t stop crying. It isn’t because I am not excited about moving to Utah. I am very excited and am grateful to move to this beautiful state. I plan on skiing and teaching my boys how to ski, going on hikes and being outdoors as often as possible. I am a huge nature girl, enjoy life at a slow pace and like to surround myself with nice people and I think I’ll fit in perfectly in Salt Lake City.

When I graduated college and planned on moving to Memphis it was really hard. I flew home often to visit my family and friends and every time I flew back to Memphis I cried. I missed my family so much and I wasn’t that happy in Memphis. I was 22 years old and had gone from college life of living with 5 girls to this NBA life, living with my boyfriend and his cousins. It was a very hard transition. I never moved growing up, my parents still live in the same house I was brought home to from the hospital. I did move away for college but since it was for college I new it was temporary. When I moved to Memphis I knew it was temporary too but we got lucky, I lived there for 10 years. Most players spend a contract, maybe 2, with one team, it’s common for guys to spend one season on multiple different teams. We were so fortunate to have had the opportunity to build a life in Memphis that I will be forever grateful for making it that much harder to leave.
being traded in the NBA

Not moving was an option. For me and and for our boys. It’s sad to say but a lot of these guys are traded so often it is too hard on the family to pick up and move everything every single time, especially if children are involved. Our children are young enough that they won’t be affected by this change but it still breaks my heart for Myles to leave his little friends he did make in Memphis. Staying in Memphis didn’t cross my mind. I have my foot in so many doors, I have built more relationships than I can count but I am going to do my best to build that again. For all of the friends I am leaving behind, I know I will stay in touch with them! I hope Utah has a kind blogging community and a fashion industry.

Something people outside of the NBA world don’t understand is how hard this is on the wife. I don’t recall seeing the “WAGS” on the MTV shows worrying about trades and moves. Maybe one here and there (I actually didn’t watch the show) but it happens a lot. Michael is moving for his job, he is going to be provided a team, friendships and a routine while I am following behind him to find my own friends and build relationships from the ground. These players spend more time with their team than they do with their family as it is. That’s just the way of this life. That’s why I was grateful to have loved my life in Memphis and the people who became family.

This is Part 1 of a series of I don’t know how many. I will be taking you along this life changing journey to give you an inside look of what it’s really like to be a wife of an athlete.

Utah, here we come!
being traded in the NBA
being traded in the NBA

jacket | Prima ‘Double-Breasted Linen Jacket
tee | Free People (similar here and here)
shorts | Levi’s ‘Wedgie Shorts
shoes | Alexander Wang (similar here and here)
bag | Sole Society ‘Deona Woven Crossbody Bag
necklace | Uncommon James ‘Ready to Mingle
ring | Aurelie Biedermann ‘Esteban Ring’ (on SALE here)

Live votre rêve!

26 Comments

1. Liz
    June 26, 2019 / 1:18 am

You should talk to Amy Williams. They built a great life here for their family. Even after Deron was traded, they continued to come back to visit their friends every summer. Now they own a home in Park City.
    I’m pretty sure Utah is the biggest blogging community in the world, so you’ll probably love it. Utah is excited to have you here.

June 26, 2019 / 7:52 pm

That’s great to hear! I don’t know any bloggers personally but I am looking forward to meeting them and everything else Utah has to offer!

2. Jane
    June 26, 2019 / 9:23 am

Hi!! Utah has a huge blogging community and there are so many activities that these ladies do together! They all seem so sweet and kind. We also have a fashion industry. There is a woman named Rachel Parcell who recently started selling her dress line in Nordstrom.
    Utah is the best because there is a sense of community and people love each other. I think you will enjoy it!! We are so excited to have you here!!!

June 26, 2019 / 7:51 pm

Thank you! I have been following Rachel for a few years now and hopefully I can meet her some day!

3. Pete Dunkirk
    June 26, 2019 / 11:41 am

Sounds like you are going to absolutely love Utah. Like Memphis, the people of Salt Lake are warm, caring, and passionate about life. Like anywhere else we have their fair share of judgemental a-holes, but I don’t let them bother me because on the whole it’s a great place to live. You’ll find a great community of outdoor bloggers, but you might have to be the catalyst for fashion… we have quite a ways to go in that area! Good luck with the move!!!

June 26, 2019 / 7:50 pm

Thank you! I am excited to get ot know they city and all it has to offer. Maybe even bring a little something of my own to it!

4. Zack
    June 26, 2019 / 1:42 pm

Welcome to Salt Lake!

June 26, 2019 / 7:51 pm

Thank you, I am excited!

5. Todd
    June 26, 2019 / 7:59 pm

Hello, I just want to say that I loved reading your story about the trade. I’ve lived in Utah my whole life, and I think it’s a really great place to live and raise a family,
    hopefully you come to love Salt lake the way you love Memphis. I’ve been a Jazz fan for 40 years, and we as fans are still waiting to get our championship. We are so excited to get Mike on our team and we really feel with the new addition we are very close to getting the championship we’ve been waiting for. We really have something special going on with the team right now, anyway congrats on the trade, and WELCOME TO UTAH

July 4, 2019 / 11:52 pm

Thank you so much. I have been hearing so many amazing things about the city, I have no doubt I will love it!

6. Jocelyn Lee
    June 26, 2019 / 8:45 pm

I am so sad you and your family are moving away from Memphis, but I am also excited for y’all and the new adventures you are sure to have in Utah! As a new mom here in Memphis, I just wanted to tell you thank you! Thank you for sharing your life with us through your blog and your instagram page! I have so appreciated your down-to-earth-ness, your honesty & your openness in sharing your journey as a wife, a mom, a blogger & a fashionista! I can’t wait to continue following your journey and learning about Utah through you!

July 4, 2019 / 11:53 pm

Thanks for you kind words!! It’s bittersweet for sure. I will be sharing the process and life on my soical media as always. Thank you for following along and enjoy motherhood!

7. Cody
    June 26, 2019 / 10:16 pm

Welcome! As a die-hard jazz fan, we welcome you and your family and look forward to cheering your husband on! Excited to follow your blog as well!!

July 4, 2019 / 11:07 pm

Thank you so much!

8. Shelby
    June 26, 2019 / 10:53 pm

We will miss you and your family but are so proud and excited for the opportunity to grow. As for bloggers in Utah, you have to look up Whitney Simmons she does fitness and lifestyle things. Good luck with everything!

July 4, 2019 / 11:53 pm

I will have look her up for sure, thank you!

9. Shelby
    June 26, 2019 / 10:57 pm

We will miss you and your family but are so proud and excited for this opportunity to grow. As for bloggers in Utah, you have to look up Whitney Simmons she does fitness and lifestyle things. Good luck with everything!

July 4, 2019 / 11:57 pm

I’ll have to follow her! Thanks!

10. Jules
    July 1, 2019 / 11:57 am

The LDS women make up a huge part of the blogging community so there are loads out there. I have often felt the same way being moved due to my husband’s job. He gets an instant community and I’m left having to put in all the hard work to build up mine each time. BUT, with each move you get better and better at it. You just have to put yourself out there – you can’t wait for new friends to come to you. From the little bit I’ve gathered about you on here, you won’t have any problems with that! Best of luck with the move.

July 4, 2019 / 11:07 pm

Thank you so much. I’m nervous but excited!

11. July 7, 2019 / 2:25 pm

The blogging community in Utah is huge!

Several of the largest food blogging conferences happen right in Utah.

Check out SnapConf and Everything Food Conference.

You can get connected to the tribe in short order. If you’d like a personal introduction to the people in charge, just let me know.

July 16, 2019 / 2:58 pm

Oh, that’s awesome. Thank you so much, I’ll be sure to check it out!

12. Sandi Snowden
    July 12, 2019 / 12:18 am

You’re going to love Utah! So much beauty everywhere. The seasons are awesome. Skiing and other snow sports all winter and boating and hiking all summer. So many kids and family. Lots of women’s hiking groups all around. I’m sure any of them would love to have you! Excited to follow your families adventures here!

July 16, 2019 / 12:58 pm

I think I will love it too! I can’t wait to get settled so I can start the outdoor adventures!

13. McCade
    July 13, 2019 / 1:50 am

First of all, I lived in Columbus for two years, specifically OSU campus for six months and have an Ohio State Jersey with your husbands name on it. I’m super pumped to have a couple of Buckeyes here in Utah with us.

Second, a lot of the media refers to your husband as Mike, but you call him Michael. What should us Jazz fans call him?

July 16, 2019 / 2:57 pm